The Shropshire Community Directory is an online database containing up-to-date information on a vast range of community groups, clubs, societies and organisations, which are based in, or serve, the local communities around Shropshire and its borders.
The Community Directory is managed by Shropshire Library Service on behalf of Shropshire Council, and currently hosts approximately 3,400 entries, which are reviewed on an annual basis to check that the information contained within each record is accurate and up-to-date.
The Directory includes information on:
- art, drama, and music,
- benefits, disability information, grants, charities
- community transport, community venues,
- environment, history and heritage
- fund-raising and aid
- health and care information, self-help groups
- hobbies and leisure activities
- home care providers, day centres
- parish and community news, parish magazines, community newsletters
- sport and fitness activities, walks and Walking for Health, sports clubs and organisations, leisure centres
- volunteering opportunities.
Statistics show that the Community Directory currently receives in the region of 30,000 page views per month.
As well as being available to the public via the Shropshire Council website, or any good search engine, the Community Directory is well used by our colleagues within various departments of Shropshire Council. It is also utilised by Community Care Co-ordinators within GP practices, and by other health and care professionals.
It is possible to search the Community Directory using a keyword or phrase, plus a town or postcode in order to find the nearest services to where a user lives or works. From the results of the search, users can access a variety of information about the groups, including contact details and links to the organisation’s website or social media. Users can also add groups they may be interested in to their “shortlist” and then either print or email the information as required.
Please have a look at the Directory and bookmark it as a ‘favourite’ for quick and easy reference, or pop into your local library for assistance.
The Directory can be found at: http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/community-directory