2020 Meeting Dates
COVID-19 AND THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FORTHCOMING MEETINGS
The COVID-19/ Coronavirus pandemic and the unprecedented in peacetime
Government measures in response to the crisis (e.g. prohibitions on gatherings, social distancing, self-isolation and shielding of those deemed to be the most vulnerable) have meant that the requirement for local authorities to hold public meetings in person with all members present in one place cannot be met. In recognition of the problem of holding and attending meetings, and further to the lobbying of NALC and others, the Government included s.78 in the Coronavirus Act 2020. This section gave the Secretary of State the power to make Regulations to make provisions for the holding of meetings. The 2020 Regulations set out those provisions.
- The 2020 Regulations permit the holding of remote meetings, with conditions.
- Local councils can decide the methods they will use to facilitate the holding of remote meetings.
- There is no requirement to hold an annual meeting.
Please find below a copy of NALC’s Legal Topic Note providing further details on the Regulations:
In accordance with these regulations:
- The Annual Parish Meeting that was due to be held on Tuesday 19th May will not be called. There is nothing in the regulations permitting parish meetings to take place remotely and it is, therefore, NALC’s view that under the current Government Guidance, the annual parish meeting of electors should not take place.
- Regulation 5 permits the holding of remote meetings. The first of these will be held on Tuesday 28th April at 7.30pm via the video conferencing software ‘Zoom’. A copy of the Agenda will be published on the Agenda Page on the website (adhering to regulation which has amended s.1 (4) (a) of the 1960 Act so that public notice is deemed to be given if the time and place of the meeting is published on the authority’s website). A copy of the Zoom link will be published with the Agenda and meeting papers, enabling the press and members of the public to join the meeting (adhering to Regulation 5(2) of the 2020 regulations).
VENUE: Senior Citizens Hall, Station Road, Whittington
TIME: 7:30pm (unless otherwise stated)
Every 4th Tuesday in the months of 2020 (unless otherwise specified)
21 January 2020 (to include the Budget) (3rd Tuesday)
18 February 2020 (3rd Tuesday)
24 March 2020 – CANCELLED
THE FOLLOWING MEETINGS WILL TAKE PLACE REMOTELY UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED. PLEASE VISIT THE AGENDA PAGE FOR A LINK TO ACCESS THE MEETING REMOTELY.
28 April 2020
Annual Parish Meeting – 19May 2020 – 6.30pm – This meeting WILL NOT be called as there is nothing permitting annual meetings to be held remotely.
26 May 2020 (Annual Meeting of the Council)
23 June 2020
28 July 2020
25 August 2020
22 September 2020
27 October 2020
17 November 2020 (3rd Tuesday)
15 December 2020 (3rd Tuesday)