COVID-19 and information regarding future meetings
The COVID-19/ Coronavirus pandemic and the unprecedented in peacetime
Government measures in response to the crisis (e.g. prohibitions on gatherings, social distancing, self-isolation and shielding of those deemed to be the most vulnerable) have meant that the requirement for local authorities to hold public meetings in person with all members present in one place cannot be met. In recognition of the problem of holding and attending meetings, and further to the lobbying of NALC and others, the Government included s.78 in the Coronavirus Act 2020. This section gave the Secretary of State the power to make Regulations to make provisions for the holding of meetings. The 2020 Regulations set out those provisions.
- The 2020 Regulations permit the holding of remote meetings, with conditions.
- Local councils can decide the methods they will use to facilitate the holding of remote meetings.
- There is no requirement to hold an annual meeting.
Please find below a copy of NALC’s Legal Topic Note providing further details on the Regulations:
In accordance with these regulations:
- The Annual Parish Meeting that was due to be held on Tuesday 19th May will not be called. There is nothing in the regulations permitting parish meetings to take place remotely and it is, therefore, NALC’s view that under the current Government Guidance, the annual parish meeting of electors should not take place.
- Regulation 5 permits the holding of remote meetings. The first of these was held on Tuesday 28th April at 7.30pm via the video conferencing software ‘Zoom’. Agendas will be published on the Agenda Page on the website (adhering to regulation which has amended s.1 (4) (a) of the 1960 Act so that public notice is deemed to be given if the time and place of the meeting is published on the authority’s website). A copy of the Zoom link will be published with the Agenda and meeting papers, enabling the press and members of the public to join the meeting (adhering to Regulation 5(2) of the 2020 regulations).
The Council has adopted the following ‘Scheme of Delegation’ to delegate certain duties to the Clerk and enable the continued running of the council in these unprecedented times.
Meeting Agendas – Where and when are they published
Agendas are published three clear days before a meeting. Agendas are published:
- On the website
- On the Parish Noticeboards in Park Hall and Whittington (next to the school) – N.B Due to Government Guidelines during the Coronavirus Pandemic, notices will only be placed on the website.
To find out more about how parish council meetings are conducted, please read the parish council’s standing orders, which can be found on the policy page.
The next ordinary meeting of the Full Council will be held on Tuesday 28th July 2020 at 7.30pm. This meeting will be held remotly via Zoom Video Conferencing. A copy of the Agenda will be posted below 3 clear days before the meeting, along with a link to join the meeting.
WPCAGENDAMARCH2020 – Cancelled following the Government Announcement on 23.03.2020 (Covid-19)